Sunday, September 24, 2017

Tobries / Tobies Ridgeway

Does anyone remember the pub Tobries or Toby's in Ridgeway in the South of Johannesburg?  I remember back in the day when I was working for Metro Cash & Carry, probably about 1989, it was our local hangout from work.

There were a few places in the South that were good, and mostly Tobries was good because of the music.   Shaun Liebenberg who was also ex Hill High would play his music there every Friday and Saturday night.   A brilliant guitarist and singer and I became a groupie.

Shaun was married to another ex Hill High pupil Beverley who lived up the road from us, one of the most beautiful girls I have ever known both inside and out.   Tragically Shaun and Beverley were killed in a car accident on the 14th of July, 2001 coming home from a gig.   Not long after we left South Africa.

I always believed that when Shaun sage "Kiss from a Rose" by Seal he was singing it just for me. 

We frequented Tobries from about 1989 until about 1992 when it just went downhill from then on.  It was a great pub and you would always bump into someone you knew there.

I do believe I was even kicked out of the pub one night, some friends and I were playing a sambuca game with black sambuc and we ended up setting the table on fire.

I could tell you a hundred stories from Tobries, but I think we will leave it there for now.

No comments:

Top Hits of 1964 - Spotify

< >