Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Kelvin's email

Okay so first let me tell you a bit about Kelvin, Kelvin played a significant part in my life growing up, I first knew Kelvin from Sunday School albeit he was 3 years ahead of me.  He was at a private school and when I was 9 and best friends with Melanie, Kelvin at the time was best friends with Melanie's brother Brian and they were at Marist Brothers Linmeyer together.  So sometimes if I was round at Melanies house, who lived on the corner of Risin Avenue and Peter place, Kelvin would be there. 

Later on when I was in high school I started going to Y.P. at the church and playing badmington and became friends with Kelvin, anyway here is an email from Kelvin that I received after I sent him Anne's email.

Hi Rose

Although this was maybe a little over a decade before our time this was extremely interesting.


What really ( among the many here ) brought back memories was mention of the East African Pavilion restaurant and the old Empire movie house.

My dad used to take my mom and I out to supper here easily twice a month. Just park the car in Eloff St ( before it was changed into a buses only road ), walk around the corner into Bree St and you’ll pass the East African on the right. 40 years later and I can still remember their beef curry!

My folks used to take me to see movies galore in the evenings and I remember there was a ‘Carry On’ festival at the Empire where they showed a different Carry On movie every night of the week. The folks made sure we didn’t miss one! In 1969 they demolished the Empire and numerous surrounding buildings to make space for the Carlton Centre.


Keep well and all the best to you guys


Kelvin

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As a babyboomer who grew up in Joburg you truly took me back in time when downtown Joburg was a mini versio of my present home, Manhattan NYC. I will check in from time to time to hi. Blessings and keep up the good work.

Blood & Water

  If you have never seen the Netflix Series " Blood & Water " - I am not going to tell you to go and watch it, but I did find ...