Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Southern Suburbs Sports Club

Do you remember the SSSC - I have fond memories from my teenage years of spending a lot of time at the club.

We played Squash often at the club, I think it was the closest Squash club to where we lived!   We would go and watch cricket there, I think my friends dad was the chairman of the Cricket club back in the late 70's.

Cyril Mitchley the umpire was a member of the Cricket Club and his son Cyril Mitchley played for the club, but please correct me if I am wrong, my memory is not as great as what it used to be.

I just researched the SSSC to see if it still there and they mentioned the public pool??? When did that happen, it looks like the club has gone from strength to strength.

There used to be disco's every now and then at the club and of course when we got to the "drinking" age, if the pubs weren't open on a Sunday at least the Clubs would sell alcohol!

The tennis courts were superb and I would sometimes go with a friend as her parents played tennis.  I only really got back into tennis a few years ago and now lead the tennis club at my work.  It's not great playing on outdoor courts in Ireland as most of the time it would rain, or just generally be bloody cold out there, I have photos of us playing in our winter rain gear ... lol.

Anyway back to the SSSC - I think almost every kid who lived in the South would at sometime have been to the club, would love to hear your memories. 

There were also the koppies behind the club, where we used to go and climb over the rocks or take a short cut to the club, even though our parents forbid us from ever going to the koppies! 

No comments:

Blood & Water

  If you have never seen the Netflix Series " Blood & Water " - I am not going to tell you to go and watch it, but I did find ...