Sunday, April 12, 2020

Rabbitt

Do you remember the South African Rock group "Rabbitt" from the 1970's - You don't okay well then you are either not South African or too young.

When I was in high school, Rabbitt was the new up and coming South African Rock band, 4 boys (most famous bands always had 4 boys - The Beatles), the band consisted of Ronnie, Neil, Duncan and Trevor, very good looking boys that the girls all went gaga over.


  • Trevor Rabin - Vocals, Lead Guitar and keyboards
  • Duncan Faure - Vocals, guitar, keyboard
  • Ronnie Robot (Ronald Friedman) bass guitar
  • Neil Cloud - drums



Rabbitt had many hits and played many concerts at His Majesties in Johannesburg, I was never allowed to go, probably the fact the fact that my mom and dad thought I was too young!  I so wish I had been able to go.   Rabbitt mania was a thing and I remember seeing the photos in the Sunday Times the day after one of their concerts, girls crying, throwing their panties on the stage ... lol (still don't get that!)  Maybe I was just too much of a prude. 

I could not even afford to buy an album until I started working and they had broken up, my favorite Album cover was from "A croak and a grunt in the night", the picture of Trevor Rabin in the nude with just his guitar covering his privates :).  Trevor was my favorite, dark hair, dark eyes - I now have my own Trevor! 


They were so famous in South Africa and word has it that when they tried to break into the International market ( A White South African group during apartheid) it was never going to work!  So in 1978 when the band broke up, Duncan went off to join "The Bay city rollers" and Trevor Rabin joined the group "yes", they have both done very well for themselves, Duncan Faure is now living in Las Vegas and Trevor Rabin is somewhere in California, he has written many Movie themes.  And in fact I think he received an Oscar.  His life story is fascinating and you can read about him here : Trevor_Rabin 

Another of their best songs was "Charlie", a really romantic song that all the girls loved. 

A list of all their music can be found on the Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbitt

Would love to know what happened to Neil and Ronnie, are they still in South Africa?

I found some photos taken at a Concert in Port Elizabeth and my dear friend Mercia who appears in 2 of these! 











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just come across your blog and my, memories of my upbringing in JHB are flooding back! Remember Rabbitt and remember a friend and I managed to get to one of their concerts. We were still in primary school and not sure how we were allowed. Remember sneaking back stage afterwards and having a sheet come floating down with all their signatures on. My friend and I just stood there dumb when someone came running towards us, grabbed the sheet and ran off!!

Rozi from Jozi said...

Thank you for the memory, it's so nice that people are still finding my blog :)

Blood & Water

  If you have never seen the Netflix Series " Blood & Water " - I am not going to tell you to go and watch it, but I did find ...