Sunday, April 12, 2020

Smugglers - Rabie Street, Randburg ... (Smuggies)

This is a blast from the past .... The late 80's "Smugglers Rest" - I had moved out of home and was living in Long Street in Ferndale, Smugglers was the place to find good music, lots of drink and a really enjoyable evening!

It was our hangout on a Friday night and any other night from about 1987 till the early 90's, I used to frequent the place with my friends.  The band who played always sang songs that everyone could join in, anything from the Beatles, Thin Lizzy (Whiskey in the Jar) and would always end the evening with "You'll never walk alone".

I met some really good friends there who I am still friends with today.  Mark, Deon, Caroline just to name a few, it was a great Jol, and even on a Saturday afternoon to sit in the beer garden. 

I remember at one point though, we decided to find other pubs outside of smugglers, Randburg always had good Jols - there was Buccaneers at the top of Republic Road, and a few places that for the life of me I cannot remember the names now.  So maybe one of you can help me - there was the bar / restaurant in Windsor East, the one near the Randburg shopping center where Ballyhoo played. - Remember "Man on the moon"?

I remember when I used to frequent smugglers, beer was R1 a bottle and a brandy and diet coke about R3.50, the barman was so nice, but they worked their butts off especially on a Friday night.

Would love to hear your memories of Smugglers!   

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I used to go there too, late 90’s, early 2000’s. Fantastic place after a long day of work. I remember one specific band but cannot remember the name. Good good memories 😁

Blood & Water

  If you have never seen the Netflix Series " Blood & Water " - I am not going to tell you to go and watch it, but I did find ...