Sunday, April 19, 2020

Drive In Movies Johannesburg

In a much earlier post about Roadhouses, I did say I would write about Drive Ins' so here we are.  I can't remember when the last Drive In disappeared around Jo'burg, but I think it may have been around the late 90's, as I do remember going to the drive-inn with Derrick before we got married which would have been about '94, we went to see the "Aristocats".   I remember it was raining and by that time they had done away with the speakers that you would put inside your car to hear the movie.  Then you just tuned into a certain FM frequency and you would be able to hear the movie, however someone at work had broken the antenna off his car, and he spent the whole movie with his hand out

I remember many experiences from the Drive In, one with an ex-boyfriend who took me to Top Star, they always showed 2 movies and I told him I wanted to leave after the 1st Movie, well he refused to take me home or to my friends house after the movie, so I told him in that case I would walk!  And I did ... instead of walking down the road at the drive-Inn I just decided to climb down the mine dump.

the window holding the antenna to get a clear sound.

I got to Eloff street Ext. and my guardian angel must have been watching over me as a really nice bunch of people stopped and gave me a lift, hence to say that was like the last I saw of the boyfriend.

These are some of the Drive In's I remember from my youth:

Speedy's - South Hills
Panorama - Past Uncle Charlies
Top Star - Eloff street ext, Johannesburg
Veldskoen - Randburg
5 Star - I think this was out towards Honeydew
Hilfox - Between Roodepoort and Randburg

I am sure there are some I have forgotten, so please help me!



No comments:

Blood & Water

  If you have never seen the Netflix Series " Blood & Water " - I am not going to tell you to go and watch it, but I did find ...