Monday, April 13, 2020

The BIG birthday Concert

My Memory seems to fade me, but I do vaguely remember the Radio 5 birthday concert!  My BFF managed to get us VIP seats as her brother worked for Radio 5 at the time, I remember Mango Groove headlining the concert, or am I wrong, was that another concert?

Does anyone else remember the concert?

I remember when Radio 5 started was it the end of the 80's beginning of the 90's? No in fact it was 1975, those were the days we were torn between listening to Springbok Radio or Radio 5!

So I can only think the BIG concert bash that we attended would have been 1985 

I found my "Big Birthday Concert" program and it was held on the 14th of October 1989 at Ellis Park, the main acts were:

Mango Groove
Marcalex
Lucky Dube
Bayete
Brenda Fassie
Bright blue
Celtic Rumours
Chicco
Die gereformeerde blues band
pj powers
Phyco Reptile
Rebecca Malope
Ricardo
Sankomota
Sipho "hotstix" mabuse
The Spectres
Stimela
Wendy Oldfield
Zia

I had forgotten most of the groups and artists above, but then again it was 31 years ago!

It was probably one of my first multi-racial concerts in South Africa, and this was just the start - Music would play a huge role in bringing about the end of apartheid and the end of the National party rule! 


No comments:

Blood & Water

  If you have never seen the Netflix Series " Blood & Water " - I am not going to tell you to go and watch it, but I did find ...